+27(10) 880 4739


Study In Canada


Canada is home to several leading universities and renowned higher learning institutions. With over 750,000 international students currently studying in Canada today, Canada is by far the most popular choice for international students. 

Most Canadian study visas allow international students to remain in Canada for the entire length of their education course. Canada actively encourages international graduates to stay in the country following their course completion by allowing them to apply for a Post-Graduation Work visa (open work permits) that can lead to permanent residency and citizenship.

study in canada


Permanent Residence & Citizenship

After working for one (1) year in a Type 0, A, or B job in Canada, an applicant may enter the Express Entry pool through the Canadian Experience Class in order to apply for permanent residency status in Canada.

Within two (2) to three (3) years, a person may apply to become a naturalized Canadian citizen.

This is all made possible by the choice to study in Canada.

Study group
Beaver immigration pathway to citizenship
Study in Canada


The study program must be a minimum of two (2) years for the graduate to obtain the three (3) year work permit.

However, if the program was less than two (2) years but longer than eight months, the graduate can still obtain an open work permit for the same duration as the program of study.

In cases where a student has obtained a one (1) year degree or diploma from an accredited educational institution within two (2) years of having successfully completed a previous accredited Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma, he or she may qualify for a three-year open work permit.

Qualification for all the above is dependent on graduation from one of the following :

  • A public post-secondary educational institution (university, college, or CEGEP);
  • A private post-secondary educational institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions and receives at least 50% of its financing for operations from government grants;
  • A Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees to students;
  • Apply for a work permit within 90 days after receiving written confirmation from their academic institution that they have met the requirements of their program;
  •  Have completed and passed the program of study and received written notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma, or certificate;
  • Have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit.
Study In Canada


2 students studying at table smiling

This visa type allows individuals to study at what the government deems to be a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with the option to either study full-time or part-time. In most cases, students can work part-time during the school term and full-time in between school terms.

In order to be eligible for a Canadian study visa, an applicant must first be accepted into a Canadian DLI. From there, the applicant must apply for a Canadian study visa. 

Family selfie

Under a Canadian Study Permit, the applicant’s family members, including a spouse or common-law partner, can also accompany them to Canada.

The spouse or common-law partner will be issued an open work permit and may work full-time for any Canadian employer. This also extends to all dependent children of the study visa holder. 

Graduates taking a group photo

International students who complete post-secondary education in Canada can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). This work permit is essentially an “open” work permit that allows you to work in any job without restrictions.

An LMIA or a confirmation of job offer are not needed to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.

Study In Canada


Depending on the institution and program of study, tuition in Canada for one year of full-time study will range between can range from CAD $13,000 to CAD $20,000. Tuition is determined by the following factors:  

Institution: University or college.  

Program: Certificate, diploma, degree, or masters.  

Location: Major urban area or smaller community.    

Contact Beaver Immigration to learn more about your financial options for study in Canada.  

Yes! Your spouse and dependent children (under 22 years old) are eligible for open work and study permits.  

The start of Canada’s academic year is in early September. However, most colleges and universities will have intakes in January and May. Beaver Immigration encourages applicants to apply for their study visa as early as possible.  

No. Students of all ages can apply for study. Whether you have just matriculated from high school and are looking to attend an undergraduate program or are a mature student wishing to pursue further studies though a certificate or Masters program, you are encouraged to apply to one of Canada’s 1,500 schools. 

Canada has over 1,500 higher education schools to choose from across the country. Based on your budget, area of study, geographic preference and academic standing we will help you find a Canadian school to study at. 

Yes! You can apply from any country in the world as long as you have legal status in the country where your application was submitted.   

Each Designated Learning Institution (DLI) will have its own admission requirements. There are over 10,000 programs to chose from, all of which have different requirements.

This will depend on a number of factors and is always at the discretion of the Canadian officer.

Please note, we must consider when the incident occurred and what is stated on your police clearance certificate.

Beaver has successfully assisted clients with their criminal admissibility issues.

An foreign student on a valid Canadian study permit may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during the semester break.

If your study permit allows for a Co-Op work permit, you will be allowed to work full-time to complete this mandatory portion of your study. 

Yes, international students can apply and are eligible to receive a Canadian scholarship or bursary. You also have access to a wide variety of financial aids options; these depend on the school you chose.

Keep in mind that even if you are offered a scholarship or financial aid from your school you will still need to show sufficient funds to support yourself while in Canada 

Graduate on a bench
Click on the button below to fill out the assessment


By completing this form Beaver Immigration will assess your eligibility for Canadian immigration and provide you with various visa options. If you are eligible for one of Canada’s visa programs a representative will contact you directly.


Sign up and stay up to date with the latest news in Canada.