Canadian Business Immigration logo white
Move to Canada

Third-Party Fees to Consider if You Decide to Move to Canada

Third-Party Fees to Consider if You Decide to Move to Canada


Immigration to Canada: what are the costs?

With Canada set to welcome 1 million new permanent residents by the end of 2021, people from around the world are applying for immigration to Canada in order to begin their new life. While the Government of Canada has designed dozens of visa programs to attract students, skilled workers, entrepreneurs and business owners, the two most common methods of entry into Canada are through the federal government’s Federal Skills Workers Program (FSWP) and a study visa.

One of the key priorities of the Canadian immigration system is to ensure the safety, security and health of Canadians. As such, applicants, regardless of country of origin, must all go through a fair verification process that includes, but is not limited to, English testing, medical exams, foreign degree assessments, employment verifications, government application fees and police clearance certificates. On top of this, depending on the visa program, an applicant must verify that they have adequate settlement funds and demonstrate their “proof of funds” to the local visa office.

Federal Skills Workers Program

The FSWP, which is managed through the government’s Express Entry system, accounts for well over 60% of all immigration to Canada. The general costs – per individual – for the main third-party fees are noted below:

Study Permits

Close to 600,000 foreign students are currently studying in Canada. As one of the best ways to embark on a path toward Canadian citizenship, studying in Canada has become a popular choice for many. Canada has consistently been ranked as one of the best places to study in the world. Depending on the institution, tuition in Canada for one year of full-time study will range between CAD $13,000 to CAD $20,000. As part of the application process, applicants must pay their first term tuition in full. Below are the common third-party fees associated with a Canadian study permit application: