Canadian Business Immigration logo white

Study in Canada

Study in Canada: An education you can trust

Canada is home to several leading universities and renowned higher learning institutions. With over 620,000 international students currently studying in Canada today, Canada is by far the most popular choice for international students. Most Canadian study visas allow international students to remain in Canada for the entire length of their education course. Canada actively encourages international graduates to stay in the country following their course completion by allowing them to apply for a Post-Graduation Work visa (open work permits) that can lead to permanent residency and citizenship.

Canadian Study Visa

This visa type allows individuals to study at what the government deems to be a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with the option to either study full-time or part-time. In most cases, students can work part-time during the school term and full-time in between school terms. In order to be eligible for a Canadian study visa, an applicant must first be accepted into a Canadian DLI. From there, the applicant must apply for a Canadian study visa. 


Accompanying Family Members

Under a Canadian Study Permit, the applicant’s family members, including a spouse or common-law partner, can also accompany them to Canada. The spouse or common-law partner will be issued an open work permit and may work full-time for any Canadian employer. This also extends to all dependent children of the study visa holder. 


Post Graduate Work Permit

International students who complete post-secondary education in Canada can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGSP). This work permit is essentially an “open” work permit that allows you to work in any job without restrictions. An LMIA or a confirmation of job offer are not needed to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.

Eligibility Criteria

For the Post Graduate Work Permit when you study in Canada

To be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, international students must have studied full-time, for a period of no less than eight (8) months preceding the completion of their program, and must have graduated from one of the following:


  • A public post-secondary educational institution (university, college, or CEGEP);
  • A private post-secondary educational institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions and receives at least 50% of its financing for operations from government grants;
  • A Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees to students;
  • Apply for a work permit within 90 days after receiving written confirmation from their academic institution that they have met the requirements of their program;
  •  Have completed and passed the program of study and received written notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma, or certificate;
  • Have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit.

Study in Canada: Other Considerations

The study program must be a minimum of two (2) years for the graduate to obtain the three (3) year work permit. However, if the program was less than two (2) years but longer than eight months, the graduate can still obtain an open work permit for the same duration as the program of study. In cases where a student has obtained a one (1) year degree or diploma from an accredited educational institution within two (2) years of having successfully completed a previous accredited Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma, he or she may qualify for a three-year open work permit.

Study in Canada: A Pathway to Citizenship for Students

Permanent Residence & Citizenship

After working for one (1) year in a Type 0, A, or B job in Canada, an applicant may enter the Express Entry pool through the Canadian Experience Class in order to apply for permanent residency status in Canada. Within two (2) to three (3) years, a person may apply to become a naturalized Canadian citizen. This is all made possible by the choice to study in Canada.

Contact us Today